- 3 eggs separated
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup key lime juice
- 1 tsp grated key lime peel
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- 1 9-inch graham cracker pie shell
Note: Regular limes can be substituted for
- In the top of a double boiler, beat egg yolks until light coloured and thick. While beating gradually, add ½ cup sugar and key lime juice.
- Heat for approximately 5 minutes over simmering water, stirring often. Remove top of double boiler and set aside to cool.
- Whip cream with superfine sugar in chilled bowl with chilled beaters.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites and whipped cream into lime mixture. Stir in grated lime peel. Spoon into graham cracker crust.
- Freeze until firm. Enjoy!
*A Floridian recipe with a few adjustments. Source: Key Lime Cookin’ by Joyce LaFray